Thursday, February 5, 2009

TASCA GUARDS AGAINST SEASON UP IN SMOKE


e went to Palm Beach where we made seven more runs. Then in Phoenix, we made eight runs. We made 24 runs and we haven’t even been to a national event yet. It just goes to show you how much more prepared we are going into this season versus last year. I don’t think I made 24 test runs all last year. The testing and off-season was such a confidence builder for the whole team. A lot of teams didn’t test and that was there choice. For us, testing is an important part of improving. With NHRA imposing some restrictions, they haven’t banned testing but they did announce restrictions on testing. They are limiting us to four test days in the 2009 season. We wanted to get as many days in as we could before that takes effect. The testing restrictions take effect at the Pomona race. I think we have a real good baseline to get the season kicked-off.”

POMONA IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST RACES OF THE YEAR. CAN YOU TALK ABOUT OPENING THE RACE SEASON AT THAT TRACK?
“Pomona has a little different format. You run once on Thursday, once on Friday and twice on Saturday. Where typically, we run twice on Friday, twice on Saturday and then go into Sunday. Pomona is spread out. As a driver and as a team, you want to race. To go out on Thursday and hit the gas one time, then you have to wait until Friday, then you hit the gas one time, then you go into Saturday where you have the back-to-back runs. Our strategy is to get down the race track Thursday. It is very important that you hit the track; you go A-to-B, and not try to set the world on fire. You want to get the car qualified on the first day and get data that you can use on Friday. Then you can be more aggressive on Friday and on Saturday you’ll start to see conditions that you’re going to race on Sunday.

"For me, going into Pomona, with Tim Wilkerson, arguably the best race car on the circuit last year, to have that team alongside our team and the data that we can start to accumulate is amazing. We don’t have four qualifying runs anymore; we have eight because of the alliance. You can’t stress the importance of that kind of information. We have the same clutch. We have the same chassis. We have the same car body. We have different engine configurations. Chris and Mark are going to try some ideas that they think are going to work. Tim is going to try some things that he thinks will work. At the end of the day, the crew chiefs get together and they talk about what went right, what went wrong and that’s what I most looking forward to about Pomona and this whole season. I’m looking forward to having two triple-A caliber teams working together with two fast race cars to compete for the championship. I really feel that Tasca Racing and Wilkerson Racing together are a whole lot stronger than we are on our own. And that says a lot because Tim almost won the championship last year, on his own, and he has put a lot of value in this relationship. It will be an exciting race.

"It will be great to just get back together with the all the guys. You are really family with a lot of these teams, drivers, telecasters and everybody there: you’re around them so much. It’s almost an eternity to get back to Pomona. But it is right around the corner now.”

DO YOU HAVE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL JITTERS?
“No, I have no jitters. I’m ready to go. Last year, for sure I did as a new driver. In the first year, I was just hoping I could stop the car because Pomona is one of the shortest tracks in the country. And the crew chiefs are telling you, ‘Get the shoots out early,’ and they’re talking about things that they need to talk to you about because you’ve never raced there before. But those are conversations that we don’t have anymore. Now we’re focused on a lot of other things. I think the jitters last year were true. This year the jitters are gone. I’m not worried about stopping it. I’m worried about going fast. We’ll get the car to stop, I’m sure of that. It’s a different type of jitters.”

THE FIRST COBRA JET DEBUTED IN 1968 WITH YOUR GRANDFATHER AS A DRIVER. THE MUSTANG COBRA JET RETURNS TO COMPETITION IN POMONA THIS WEEKEND IN THE SAME PAINT SCHEME HE RACED OVER 40 YEARS AGO. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN TO YOU?
“I just think it’s incredible. That was a car that really ignited so much enthusiasm and excitement. What they accomplished is just incredible. My grandfather was really the pioneer of that program. To see it re-created in the 21st century, it is just going to be exciting. We bought one that we’re going to campaign at selected races this year. I think it’s really energized the Ford Racing base. It’s going to be fun to see those four cars go out there and compete. I know my Dad is coming, my uncle is coming and they remember the cars as children when my grandfather raced. They are excited to see the cars run. John [Force] and I ended the season last year racing the Cobra Jet. For the record, I beat him. I haven’t beaten him in a Funny Car yet, but I’ve beaten him in a Cobra Jet. The fans were into it as well. We got a lot of cheers as any other car going down the race track that day. It’s going to be fun to see the Cobra Jets compete. I think they’ll be very competitive. It would be wonderful to see one of those four cars win it. We look forward to taking our Cobra Jet out. I think we’re going to race ours in Charlotte. I’m not sure if I will race it or if my Uncle Carl will race. He’s really excited. He didn’t race, the racing gene must have skipped a generation. My grandfather raced and my Dad and uncles were involved. Then when my grandfather got out of racing and that was it. He was the boss. There was no more racing. As my father and uncles grew up, they didn’t race anymore. My grandfather stopped racing in the early 1970s, or late 1960s. Then I started racing a few years ago. My uncle has an itch to drive the Cobra-Jet. He’s having fun putting a role cage in it. Hopefully, we’ll make a few adjustments to make it go a little faster. He’ll probably end up driving at Charlotte.”

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: